5 Reasons You Should Be Coloring Mandalas
By Nick P.
As I’ve said before, coloring seems to be all the rage these days. There are so many different types of coloring books that help us to tap into that creative side of us we had as kids, too many to number.
One thing that I have found when I color is that I seem to gravitate to mandalas. Whether it’s coloring them, or designing them as I have been doing lately, there’s just something peaceful and soul-soothing about mandalas.
So I have compiled 5 reasons that you should be coloring mandalas. This is, by no means, the definitive list of why you should color mandalas, but mostly from my own perspective. They are pretty much interlinked, meaning there’s not just one reason, but they are all tied in for me.
- Coloring Mandalas Is Healing: When I say this, what I find is that coloring mandalas helps me to allow the rest of the world to melt away. What this does is allow me to put on the back burner all the issues of the day and just focus on coloring. By putting all those issues on the backburner, it allows my subconscious to deal with those issues, which is much better at handling them than I am consciously.
- Coloring Mandalas Can Be Spiritual: Now this is a controversial one for many people, especially Christians, because they may feel that mandalas are idol worship for another deity. This is not true, as I am a Christian, and do not feel that way at all. What I do feel when I color mandalas, is that I can recite certain pieces of Scripture, such as a Psalms, and get a deeper meaning from the Scripture while I color. It allows me to tap into that inner part of me, that part that God put there for me, to enjoy and raise myself up. It’s not about worshipping other deities or thinking that by doing a mandala that you are turning away from your faith.
- Coloring Mandalas Is Meditative: I find that when I empty myself of the day, and allow myself to immerse into coloring the mandala, that I get lost in it. If I have a piece of Scripture that I may be reciting while I am coloring, then it allows me to immerse even more. By immersing into the coloring of the mandala, I get into a meditative state that allows me to empty my mind even more, and just focus on what I am doing, which is coloring the mandala. I also find that the twists and turns within a mandala may help inspire that meditative state, and allow that empty mind to happen.
- Coloring Mandalas is Relaxing: Let’s face it, if you’ve emptied your mind, and lost yourself in coloring a mandala, then you are reaching a relaxed state. Mentally, physically, emotionally, in all ways your body relaxes and just gets into that state of ‘being’.
- Coloring Mandalas Allows Creative Inspiration: When I started coloring mandalas, or anything else for that matter, I did not really understand what colors went well together. After all, I’m a guy! However, since I color and see what goes together, and what clashes like an icepick to the eye, it has helped me to better understand colors. But more than that, when I get done doing a coloring session (yes, I consider them sessions, because I devote time to it), I also find that I am a better writer, and have more creative thought running through my head. Perhaps it’s because of the relaxing, meditative quality of a mandala, or perhaps it’s the fact that I can empty my mind and allow the creative side of me to come out.
As I said before, these are not the definitive reasons that I color, but the top 5 reasons for me to color mandalas. I’m sure there are many more reasons, and perhaps there’s a more personal reason that you might have for coloring mandalas.
If there is, please let us know below in the comments!
Want to color for free?
To get this FREE 7 page coloring book, just put in your name and email!
We promise, there's no spam coming your way, just some helpful tips from us here at Endless Inspirations.